Thursday, August 1, 2013

Positivity

I did not grow up in a positive atmosphere. I grew up amidst worry, fear and judgement. Yes, I was loved, but worry, fear and judgement were the dominant feelings in our home.

At the age of 18, when I was in college, I decided that I did not want to live this way. I decided that I wanted to be happy. I remember clearly thinking, "I am not happy." I made the decision to take control of my happiness.

It did not happen overnight. But, over the years, every day of my life, I learned to be happy. Each day I was happier than the day before. Susan Branch, a wonderful author and artist, says that she has the "happy gene." I believe we all do. We just have to nurture it.

I learned to be happy by reading positive books and studying happy people. God will put happy people in your life if you choose to nurture your happy gene. Pay attention to them. Talk to them. Find out how they are so happy. We all have situations in our lives that, if we allow it, can change our happiness. Seek out people who remain happy through challenges, and find out what they do to remain happy.

Read. There are many amazing authors who have written excellent books teaching us how to choose happiness. Here are just a few that I have found helpful over the years: 

1. The Power of Positive Thinking by Norman Vincent Peale
2. Simple Abundance by Sarah Ban Breathnach
3. Anything written by Susan Branch. Start with her delightful blog. www.susanbranch.com
4. Anything written by Alexandra Stoddard.
5. The Secret, The Power and The Magic by Rhonda Byrne
6. Change Your Thinking Change Your Life by Wayne Dwyer
7. Tao Te Ching
8. The Tao of Pooh
9. Go To ELF by Lauren McLaughin
10. God's Guest List by Debbie Macomber

 Today, I am grateful for Divine Guidance to happiness. I know that the people and the books that helped me nurture my happy gene were gifts from God. Thank You, God.


No comments:

Post a Comment